In just a few short weeks the Christmas holidays will be over and we’ll be welcoming the New Year in style. Every year millions of people across Australia and the world make New Year’s resolutions, but few succeed in the new year.
Have you made a New Year’s resolution in the past and failed by the end of January. You’re not alone. Find out how to keep your New Year’s resolution so 2017 will be your best year yet.
10 Tips to Keep Your New Year’s Resolution in 2017
- Make realistic goals – Millions of people pledge to lose weight and get in shape in the new year. It’s important to make realistic goals. If your goal is to lose weight, aim to lose about 10% of your current bodyweight. Not only is 10% achievable for most people, you’ll also see the most health benefits.
- Make short-terms goals – Most people find success in breaking their long-term goal into multiple short-term goals. If you want to lose 20 kg in 2017, aim to lose 0.25-0.50 kg per week for about six months instead of trying to lose 20 kg in two months.
- Make your resolution public – Tell all your friends, family, and coworkers about your resolution. People who make their goals public are more likely to keep them long-term. With online social media, it’s easy as a few finger movements to let everyone know you’re dying to be able to do a pull-up in 2017.
- Use an app – There are hundreds of fitness apps available on your mobile phone. Choose your favourite and start tracking your meals, workouts, and weight loss progress. MyFitnessPal is one of the most popular picks.
- Find a buddy – Workouts are way more fun with a buddy. Not only can working out with your mate be more fun, but they will also hold you accountable to your workout. Plus, they can be your spotter in the weight room.
- Make one change at a time – Many people fail their New Year’s Resolution because they try to change everything at once. Perhaps your goal is to get healthy in 2017. Don’t try to quit smoking, eat healthy, and workout all at the same time. Start by quitting smoking. Once that is going well, start hitting the gym.
- Celebrate small victories – When you achieve one of your short-term goals then it’s okay to celebrate! You finally loss 10 kg after three months of working hard, go out and buy that need dress you’ve been eyeing. Rewards can get you motivated throughout the year.
- Schedule time to work out your resolutions – One of the biggest excuses people make about not achieving their fitness goals is that they lack the time. We all have the same 24 hours in a day. Make your health and fitness goals a priority in your life and schedule time to hit the gym, plan meals, and focus on your health.
- Stay positive – Keeping a positive mindset is important to success. You’ll have bad days. That’s life. It’s how your response to the bad days that matter. Focus on staying positive and moving forward towards your goals. If you need a pick-me-up, set aside some time to meditate, do yoga, or seek out support from friends and family.
- Take notes – Take a few minutes from your day right before bed and jot down some notes about the day. Write down what you eat, your workout, and just your general feelings about the day. Your records can help you discover what is and what isn’t working in your plans. Add in motivational quotes or anything that keeps you working hard.
Don’t let 2017 be another year that you fail to achieve your New Year’s resolution. By following these ten simple tips, you’ll be able to keep your New Year’s resolution this year.