Millions of people around the world have one goal: to lose weight. It could be 2 kg or it could 100 kg. Whatever your weight loss goal is, it’s not going to happen overnight with a magic pill. It’s going to take some blood, sweat, and tears to reach your goal weight.
As fitness professionals, we’ve helped thousands of people lose weight and live healthier and happier lives. Most of our clients come to us after failing on their own. So, we’ve decided to compile our top 10 tips to lose weight that really work. Say goodbye to your fat pants and hello to a slimmer and toned you.
Tips to Lose Weight
- Cut back on foods high in sugar and starch. Sugary and starchy foods trigger insulin, which is a hormone that promotes fat storage. When you reduce your insulin levels, body fat can escape from your fat stores and your body will burn it has fuel.
- Eat a high protein breakfast. A breakie high in protein is not only healthy, as your body needs about 20-50 grams of protein a day, but it also keeps you feeling full longer so you’ll eat less throughout the day.
- Eat mostly natural, unprocessed foods. Processed foods are high in added sugar and kilojoules. One of the most important tips to lose weight then is to skip the junk food and shop for healthy foods, like lean meats, fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Drink water. Water can help flush out the toxins that build up in your body and it can boost your metabolism. Anytime you feel hungry, drink a glass of water. Sometimes thirst is confused for hunger.
- Use smaller plates. Several studies have shown that people eat less when their plates are smaller.
- Get at least 7-8 hours of sleep a night. Poor sleep patterns are one of the biggest risk factors for weight gain. Sleep deprivation releases the stress hormone, cortisol, into your blood system. High levels of cortisol can increase your appetite and thus lead to weight gain. Another of the more important tips to lose weight then is to get enough sleep!
- Strength train at least three times a week. Strength training builds muscle tissue, which in return leads to more fat burning potential, even at rest.
- Keep a food journal. Keeping track of your food intake will help you be mindful of what you put in your mouth. Multiple weight loss studies have found subjects who monitored their diet lost twice as much weight as those who did not.
- Eat before a party or going out. It’s too easy to eat all the delicious and probably unhealthy food at parties. Instead of eating a countless number of finger sandwiches and desserts, eat something healthy and filling before you go to the party.
- Set realistic goals. Too many people fail at the start because they set unrealistic goals. You can’t lose 10 kg in a week. That’s just not healthy. Instead, you should aim to lose between 0.5-1 kg per week.
These tips to lose weight take time
If losing weight was easy, then we’d all be at a perfect, healthy weight. But it’s not easy to lose weight. Weight loss is a journey that will take time. Follow these ten tips to lose weight and you’ll be well on your way to reaching your target.